Saturday, July 6, 2013

First day! Woop Woop!

Hello! Welcome to the YWiC Residential Camp! I hope you're enjoying the first day!
Take a look at your instructors when we were in Camp! Aren't we cute? :)

From left to right: Linday ('09), Noor ('10), Susi ('11)

Today we started with an outdoor activity. As computer scientists we tend to stay indoors and in our caves. But we also like to go outside and stretch our muscles and get some Vitamin D! Today we did the "I have..." grouping game. We wanted the campers to see their similarities and differences based on statements. If the statement applied to them they would go in the center, if not they would stay outside the center. We all have programmed before, which is awesome! I also found out my fellow instructors love Once Upon a Time! :)

We started the day with Core Concepts. You must know the basics! We learned about events, classes, variables, parameters, loops, and much more!

The students started making posters on assigned core concepts and were asked to present them. Best poster will win a prize! After lunch they played Jeopardy! The girls were allowed to pick their own group names and compete for a prize!

We took a break and walked to Starbucks. I got an iced coffee. Yum! I hope you enjoyed your mini field trip!

The girls also learned AppInventor with Linday. She taught them to make their own Magic 8 Ball and began their own tutorial. They'll work more on it tomorrow.

~~~
Blog Prompt:  Tell us about your self! Where are you from? What are your thoughts on camp so far?

Noor: My name is Noor Muhyi. I am a sophomore studying CS and Bio. I'm from Northern California. I've lived here in Las Cruces with my family since I was 8. I'm 18 now, so 10 years here! I enjoy working for YWiC and I can't wait to get to know all of you. If you ever want to ask me anything, ask away! :) I'm excited for camp!

Linday: Hello! I'm Linday Selters, pronounced Lindy ;P and I am a Junior in Computer Science! I'm mainly working towards the neuroscience portion of the field to work with next generation prosthetics :D I am originally from Waco, TX but I have lived in Las Cruces since highschool so I guess you could call this heat zone my home :) I have been looking forward to this camp for weeks and I really hope that we all have a blast together!!! 

Susi: My name is Susana Bali, otherwise known as Susi. I am a sophomore majoring in civil engineering:). I moved to Las Cruces 9 months ago, before I lived in Mexico City, Virginia, Lousiana, Juarez, and finally , New Mexico! My passions are dance and art, I also love to read and watch movies! It is my first year teaching camp and so far I love it! I am super happy to work with you guys. 


Click here for the End of the Day Survey!


Have a great day,
~Noor

No comments:

Post a Comment