Monday, June 17, 2013

And so begins another week of camp :)

Three AWESOME YWiC staff members!
Noor and Susi are YWiC camp instructors this year! 
Today began Week 1 of Young Women in Computing's Summer 2013 High School camp! We are so happy that our students have chosen to join us, and we are very excited to work with them over the upcoming week. This week we will be covering:

  • Computer Science Core Concepts
  • Google email and Blogging
  • LilyPad
  • App Inventor
  • Forensics - Fingerprinting 

Today students were introduced to our Computer Science Core Concepts curriculum. They learned that programming is all about problem solving, and about the tools that Computer Scientists use for problem solving. Topics covered included variables and types, expressions, loops, classes, objects, and more!

To test their knowledge of the topics covered, students created posters about each of the concepts covered, and then participated in a friendly game of Computer Science Core Concept Jeopardy! We were very impressed with their abilities!

Finally, the day ended with an introduction to LilyPad Arduino. Our girls modified the "Blink" example project to work with their Arduino board, and then used alligator clips to connect an LED.

Blog Prompt: Describe one time when you were brave!

Jen: One time that I was brave was last summer when my friend, Tasha, fell off of my longboard and broke her ankle. It was her first time longboarding, and the board rolled out from under her when she tried to step off. I have broken my ankle 5 times, so I knew exactly what to do. I was really scared because Tasha got hurt falling off of my longboard, but I called her mom and told her what happened anyway. Next, my other friends, Nicole and Janie, and I took Tasha to the hospital. Her ankle was broken in 3 places and she had to have surgery! :/ Thanks to our collective cool manner and quick thinking, we minimized Tasha's trauma and transported her to the hospital quickly!

Susi:

Noor: One time I was brave when I delivered a slam poem for my creative writing class in my junior year of highschool. I wrote about my feelings being multiracial and multicultural. It was the first time I spoke about myself with pride. I was so nervous. My voice quivered and kept changing, my hands were sweaty. I was so nervous. I took a deep breathe and let my heart out. I almost cried when I finished. My classmates were shocked that I delivered such a powerful piece. I'm glad I did it. I feel like I'm getting better at public speaking. :)

Click here to take the HS Summer Camp 2013 Week 1 Pre-Survey!

Click here to take today's End-of-Day Survey!

No comments:

Post a Comment