Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Green stages, green squares, and GreenFoot - Oh, my!


Students went on a walking field-trip around campus!
They saw the bookstore and several buildings used for
instruction and research!
Today was another FABULOUS day! Today we practiced Scratch, PencilCode, and Greenfoot, and students started programming their final Scratch projects. After eating delicious pizza for lunch, we went on a field trip to the campus Barnes & Noble bookstore. It was hot, but really fun!

On another note, you might be interested to know that today is Hug Your Cat Day. So, go ahead and give your cat a big, furry hug! If you're a cat lover, you can really appreciate the warm, cozy feeling you get when you curl up on a couch or chair and hug your cat. The only problem is, your cat will most likely only allow a brief hug before sauntering away. If your cat is a true hugger, count your blessings. Dog lovers...sorry, but hugging your dog will not suffice. If you are going to be "into" this day, you simply must hug a cat...your cat or a friend's!

June is national Adopt-A-Cat month!
Prompt: Imagine you had a ten thousand dollars, but you couldn't keep it. You had to give it away to a person or charity. Who would you give it to? What would you want them to do with it?

Joanna - I would give the money to a school in a developing country, that needs basic supplies, computers, water, lunch food, soap, and other things that students need to sustain a comfortable learning environment. Growing up in a good school sets you up for the rest of your adult life, and everyone should have a chance to be successful and independent.

Galen - Well, first I'd give a large portion to animal shelters, seeing as so many of my pets are either from shelter or would have been if we hadn't taken them home.  I'd also give to wildlife and forest preservation funds as well as charities like this to develope solar panels!  If I had any left over from that, I'd put it towards homes for homeless children like Jardin de los Ninos here in town!

Jen - If I had $10,000 but couldn't keep it, I would donate half to the Joyful Heart Foundation and half to the Mesilla Valley Animal Shelter - I recently adopted a dog from there! Both of these organization's missions are near and dear to my heart, and I would love to do whatever I could to help them achieve their goals. 

Noor- If I had a thousand dollars I would give it to charities that benefit victims of abuse in developing countries. I would want them to use the money to buy food, water, clothing, and toward a decent place for the people to stay. I would also want the money to buy medication for the victims who need it. I enjoy giving to charity because it makes the world a better place.

At the end of each day of camp, we encourage our students to fill out a small survey so that we can better craft an amazing camp experience. The survey for today can be found here!

1 comment:

  1. I would give it to an endangered species preservation group so that they can continue saving species that would be extinct without them.

    ReplyDelete